Varicose veins are a common problem in which abnormally enlarged veins appear close to the skin’s surface. They usually occur in the calves and thighs when the veins develop weakened walls or poorly functioning valves, which regulate blood flow.
According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, varicose veins affect an estimated 25 percent of women and 10 percent of men.
Ads by Google
The condition can cause pain, fatigue, restlessness, and feelings of burning, throbbing, tingling, or heaviness in the legs. The appearance of bulging veins is also a concern for many people.
Common factors contributing to varicose veins are heredity, occupations that require a lot of standing, obesity, use of birth control pills, constipation and hormonal changes in the body during pregnancy, puberty, and menopause.
Ads by Google
Medical and surgical treatments for varicose veins can be very expensive. You can try some home remedies to decrease the severity of varicose veins as well as reduce some of the discomforts they can cause.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for varicose veins.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a wonderful treatment for varicose veins. It is a natural body cleansing product and it also improves blood flow and circulation. When the blood starts flowing naturally, the heaviness and swelling of varicose veins will decrease to a great extent.
- Apply undiluted apple cider vinegar on the skin over the varicose veins and gently massage the area. Do it every day before going to bed and again in the morning. Follow this remedy for a few months to reduce the size of varicose veins.
- Add two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar to a glass of water and stir well. Drink the mixture twice a day for at least one month to see positive results.
2. Cayenne Pepper
Cayenne pepper is considered a miracle treatment for varicose veins. Being a very rich source of vitamin C and bioflavonoids, it increases blood circulation and eases the pain of congested, swollen veins.
- Add one teaspoon of cayenne pepper powder to a cup of hot water and stir it well.
- Drink this mixture three times a day for one or two months.
3. Olive Oil
Increasing blood circulation is essential to treating varicose veins. Massaging with olive oil can help increase circulation, thereby reducing pain and inflammation.
- Mix equal amounts of olive oil and vitamin E oil and warm it slightly. Massage the veins with the warm oil for several minutes. Do this twice daily for one to two months.
- You can also mix four drops of cypress essential oil in two teaspoons of warm olive oil and massage with this mixture.
Ads by Google